Monday, June 18, 2018
  • share this

Agent a victim of accidental firing, says boss

/ 09:45 AM November 26, 2012

RATHER than suicide, an agent of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) found dead inside a staffhouse at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) last week may have accidentally shot himself in the head.

“Medyo na-outbalance siya (Yap) ‘dun sa steps eh, while naglilinis siya ng baril (He slipped while he was cleaning his firearm),” said NBI-7 Regional Director Edward Villartan.

But any questions about the cause of his death would have to be answered by the official report done by the Scene of Crime Operations (SOCO), Villartan said.


He said his office is also waiting for the results of the paraffin tests of the two guards whom Yap made contact with minutes before his death.

Based on initial findings at the hospital, the bullet hit Yap’s left temple and then exited to the right temple.

Yap was found dead with a bullet wound in his temple at the MCIA staffhouse in barangay Buaya, Lapu-Lapu City last Nov. 22.

Initial investigation by the Lapu-Lapu City police showed that the victim texted maintenance worker Richard Manto to invite him for a drinking session at the staffhouse.

While Yap sent Manto to buy more liquor and bread, Yap approached security guard Romeo Malubay and asked if he could fire his gun.

When the guard refused, Yap went back to the staff house and a shot rang out a few minutes later.

The security guard said he went to check where the shot rang out and found Yap lying on the ground with a gunshot wound in his temple.

The Glock .40 pistol was found 30 feet away from Yap along with one empty shell and one fragmented slug, Malubay said. The guard claimed that he only heard one gunshot.


Yap was rushed to the Mactan Doctors Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Villartan earlier said he didn’t believe that Yap took his own life.

Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, Lapu-Lapu City police chief, said initial findings pointed to accidental discharge of firearm as the cause of Yap’s death.

The results of the paraffin and autopsy tests are expected to be released today, Villaratan said. Yap’s remains are at the St. Peter’s Chapel in Cebu City. Correspondent Joy Cherry S. Quito

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Accidents, gun shot, guns
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

© Copyright 1997-2018 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.