Wednesday, December 7, 2016
Close  

Bomb left along path of Mangudadatu convoy defused

/ 12:27 PM November 23, 2012

Maguindanao provincial Gov. Esmael Mangudadatu. AP Photo/Pat Roque

AMPATUAN, Maguindanao–Authorities on Friday defused a bomb packed into a motorcycle abandoned along the path of the convoy of Maguindanao Governor Esmael Mangudadatu, who was on his way to a village here to attend the third anniversary rites of the 2009 Maguindanao massacre, which claimed the lives of 58 people, including his wife, several relatives and supporters, and 32 media workers.

Senior Superintendent Jaime Pido, Maguindanao police director, said the bomb, made from a 60 mm and 81 mm mortar shells, might have been intended for the convoy.

Mangudadatu was on his way to Barangay Salman, site of the Nov. 23, 2009 bloodbath, when his convoy was forced to delay its trip following the discovery of the bomb at around 10 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Authorities had to shut down the highway and only allowed the convoy to pass after the bomb had been defused, Pido said.

At the massacre site, another suspect in the Maguindanao massacre was arrested, authorities said. His identity was still being withheld as interrogation was ongoing.

TAGS: Ampatuan, Bomb, Crime, Maguindanao massacre, Mangudadatu, Massacre, motorcycle, News, Police, Regions, Security
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved