Quantcast
Latest Stories

Papers pile up in RTC Branch 221 as kin of massacre victims wait for justice

By

Maguindanao provincial Governor Esmael Mangudadatu looks at mug shots of suspects during a press conference at Camp Crame police headquarters in Quezon City Nov. 19, 2012. Papers keep piling up in the courtroom of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 where for three years, the kin of the Maguindanao massacre victims have been crying for justice. AP PHOTO/AARON FAVILA

MANILA, Philippines—Papers keep piling up in the courtroom of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 where for three years, the kin of the Maguindanao massacre victims have been crying for justice.

Documents are kept in 48 folders, each at least two inches thick. The staff members of the Quezon City RTC Branch 221 keep all the documents on hand for the trial.

These records do not include the court transcripts, which are being transcribed by three stenographers.

As of today, 98 out of 195 accused have been arrested so far. Only 81 have been arraigned for 57 counts of murder.

The prosecution panel filed a 58th case for massacre victim Reynaldo Momay but told Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes they would withdraw the indictment to amend it.  The case included Police Officer 1 Johann Draper, who in 2010 was removed from the charge sheet.

Court staff said the court has not made a finding of probable cause in the Momay case.

“We have not yet received the new indictment as well,” the staff said.

In February, accused PO2 Hernani Decipulo fell to his death from a detention center in Bicutan, Taguig City, where he was held with most of his fellow accused.

Of the 195 accused, 56 have asked the court to let them post bail for murder, a non-bailable crime.

The court has yet to resolve any of these petitions for bail, given the multitude of pleadings filed by both parties.

In the case of prime suspect Andal Ampatuan Jr.’s bail petition, it is now the defense’s turn to present evidence as the prosecution has finished doing so.

The Nov. 23, 2009, Maguindanao massacre took 57 lives and is largely blamed on the Ampatuan clan.

The carnage was sparked by the decision of then Buluan vice mayor Esmael Mangudadatu to run for Maguindanao governor against Andal Ampatuan Jr. Mangudadatu’s wife and other female kin were among those abducted and killed by militiamen allegedly led by Andal Jr. and on orders of the Ampatuan patriarch, Andal Ampatuan Sr.

At first, the trial was supposed to be held in Mindanao but it was transferred to Quezon City until it was raffled off to Reyes’ court on Dec. 17, 2009.

Branch 221 has been designated as a special court, meaning Reyes only handles the Maguindanao massacre. Her branch no longer gets assigned to new cases.

The existing criminal and civil cases are being handled by two assisting judges.

However, the court is still short of manpower as the courtroom workers have work related to other cases, apart from assisting Reyes in the Maguindanao massacre trial.

Unlike usual cases that are heard once a month, hearings are conducted twice a week for the criminal aspect with at least two witnesses taking the stand. This is aside from two days set aside for motions and the civil aspect.

The pleadings include motions for Reyes’ inhibition filed mostly by the accused, seven of which have been denied while two are still unresolved.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled against the live media coverage of the landmark trial.

A court staff considered the decision as wise, pointing out that live coverage might work against the orderly and fair conduct of the trial.

“The parties might take advantage of the cameras and engage in grandstanding. That would be problematic for the court to control,” the staffer said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: courts , Crime , law and justice , litigation , Maguindanao massacre , multiple murder , Murder , Philippiness , trials




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Palace renews appeal for plane passengers to test for MERS—CoV
  • 2 teenagers killed in Mlang, North Cotabato
  • No sympathy from North Korea over ferry disaster
  • 4 French journalists freed from Syria captors home
  • De Lima on Gigi Reyes: Let’s wait and see
  • Sports

  • Pacquiao courtesy call to Aquino set for Monday
  • Nick Calathes suspension a reminder of supplement risk
  • Teague scores 28 as Hawks soar past Pacers in Game 1
  • Warriors beat Clippers in playoff opener
  • Pacquiao top Mayweather contender
  • Lifestyle

  • Angono petroglyphs in danger of disappearing
  • Britain’s baby Prince George visits Australian zoo
  • Noli Yamsuan, Cardinal Sin’s ‘official’ photographer: ‘I could smell the aftershave lotion of the Pope’
  • Simplifying and lightening life
  • Where to go for Easter night-out
  • Entertainment

  • Show-biz celebrities’ other choices of summer getaway
  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Business

  • Top-selling insurance agent opens her dream café
  • Connecting and transacting with one another
  • Building wealth for health
  • Why Mandaue Foam buys, rather than rents, space
  • A workplace of new possibilities
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Epiphany
  • Unpaid creditor vs distressed debtor
  • Moving on
  • From culinary desert to paradise
  • Response to China: ‘Usjaphil’
  • Global Nation

  • Asia seeks Obama’s assurance in territorial spats
  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Filipinos in US poised for success
  • Visas for priests and other faith leaders
  • DOH to continue tracking co-passengers of OFW infected with MERS virus
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement