2 suspects in robbery-slay of Sta. Cruz store owner, daughter, ID’d through Facebook

A+
A
A-

MANILA, Philippines — Two of the suspects in the Oct. 27 robbery in Manila that killed a businessman and his daughter were identified by a witness through their Facebook social networking accounts, according to a sworn statement filed at the Manila Regional Trial Court.

Charges of robbery with homicide have been filed last week against the four arrested suspects in the killing of Onofre Cruz, 53, a native of Pulilan, Bulacan, and his daughter Sierra Gutierrez, 27, during a robbery at their diaper store on Felix Huertas Street in Sta. Cruz, Manila.

One of the suspects said the diaper store robbery was the third criminal activity he did with the group.

Assistant City Prosecutor Francisco Salomon recommended the filing of charges with no bail against Kenneth Soto, 20; Juvonne “Bunso” Tolentino, 25; Barhain “Baring” Francisco, 26, and Paul Ryan Lomboy, 25.

The witness said in a statement that he was on his way to his mother’s store when he saw two men on motorcycles stop at the diaper store. Then a man wearing a white sando came out of the store. He and a stout man posted outside got on the motorcycles, the witness said. He further saw a young slim man got on one of the motorcycles.

Police were able to identify the man in the sleeveless shirt as “Acol,” who remained at large, as of Sunday, while Francisco and Lomboy were the drivers of the get-away vehicles.

Through some Facebook profiles opened by a police informant, the witness identified Tolentino as the stout man while Soto as the slim one. The

statement of Lomboy, who turned witness, backed up the first witness’ account.

Lomboy admitted he was working with Soto, Tolentino and Acol about three months and they stole two motorcycles in Taytay, Rizal. In September, he said they also held up a woman along Araneta Avenue and took her laptop, cell phone and money.

In Soto’s defense, two CDs containing video footage at his residence, which also houses their bakery business, were submitted to the police showing that he was at his house before, during and after the robbery. Soto also said in his counteraffidavit that he was cleared of carjacking charge in Quezon City.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • kypros

    Mayor Lim ito pa. Let the MPD give them a tour of Manila, lots of places you can show them that our society do not need people like they are. Oh please let the handcuff in front of them and lets see how tough they really are!

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_XALR35ENV2XKV327BZGZ7Q5Z5Q Ernesto

    tirahin na yan.davao style para matakot mga kriminal

    • nobadi

      nakupo hahabulin na naman kau ng mga yuman rayts nyan heheheheheheheh  dapat cla unang bitayin…kc lagi na lang hinaharangan ang batas para sa mga gumagawa ng ganyan…

  • GMMTC11

    Dapat ibalik na ang shoot to kill. Di na binubuhay ang mga bwisit na mga to, dahil walang bitay di na nadadala kahit ilang beses mo nang ikukulong. At sa klase ng mga krimen ngayon kitang kita na walang takot ang mga ito sa batas, iisa lang ang ibig sabihin napakababaw ng parusa. Yong mga advocates ng anti bitay hihintayin nyong kayo o mga kaanak nyo ang nagiging biktima at saka ninyo igigigiit yang mga pinaglalaban nyo kamo.

    • 7_mgawalanghiyakayo

      Paano matakot ang mga kriminal eh hindi parusa ang matanggap nila kundi pag alaga…. tingnan mo pagmahuli pianakain, binantayan para di magalaw nino man lahat nandyan shabu kung o kung anu anu pa… tapos pagka malamig na ang kaso at medyo nakalimutan na ng taong bayan ang kasalanan na ginawa nila, palabasin na para gagawa ulit… kaya sana mang agaw ng baril sa scort papuntang hearing o tumakas habang papunta sa hearing tapus barilin sa binti at sa ulo tatama ang bala…

  • sam_aquino

    thanks to facebook!!! : )

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/55XNXOYBNF6BG3EWOM5V4YMWXM Pedro

    Good work MPD !  ANOTHER  BATCH  OF  4  CANDIDATES  WHO WILL GRAB GUNS  AND WILL BE  CANDIDATES  TO THE  CEMETERY ! CASE  CLOSED !

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94

editors' picks

advertisement

popular

advertisement

videos