Quantcast
Latest Stories

Cagayan election registrar decries treatment by Enrile


Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile

TUGUEGARAO CITY—The election officer of Santa Ana, Cagayan, on Sunday bewailed what she called the “unkind treatment” she received at the hands of Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and his nephew, Jose Mari Ponce, on the last day for voter registration on Oct. 31.

In a telephone interview, Edna Tacazon, 61, said that Enrile, in her presence, called up Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. to have her removed from her post when she “was just doing her job.”

“Boy, I want this girl out of my district,” Tacazon quoted Enrile as telling Brillantes. “Boy” is Brillantes’ nickname.

Ponce, administrator of the Cagayan Economic Zone Authority, allegedly threatened to sue Tacazon for refusing his request to register two women at 8:45 p.m. on Wednesday—nearly six hours past the 3 p.m. registration cutoff time.

“He pointed at me and said he would sue me. I said I would welcome it because it is his right to do so,” Tacazon said.

Santa Ana government employees said that Enrile, who was on vacation at a family resort at Gotan beach in the town, arrived at the town hall at around 2 p.m. and was greeted by about 200 people awaiting enlistment.

Enrile, they said, proceeded to the Comelec office and confronted Tacazon about reports that she had refused to give out registration forms to would-be registrants.

“Senator Enrile dialed his phone and asked the person on the other line to transfer me, and then he handed me the phone. It turned out it was our chairman (Brillantes),” Tacazon said.

She said she explained to Brillantes that it was simply taking a long time to register all the people because of the last-day rush and they had only one computer.

She said that before Enrile left, he told her: “Ayusin mo buhay mo. Huwag kang mamumulitika (Get yourself right. Don’t play politics).”

In a phone interview, Enrile confirmed the confrontation, saying that barangay (village) officials had rushed to Gotan beach to report that Tacazon was refusing to give out registration forms.

Enrile said word reached him that Mayor (Darwin) Tobias suspected that those in line were going to vote for his opponent and allegedly ordered the registration forms not be distributed.

He said he learned that Tacazon had a son who would be running under the mayor’s ticket and an assistant whose husband was running for a local post in Santa Ana.

Ponce denied demanding that two women be registered that night.

“I went to the Comelec office to check on the outcome of the last day of registration on the instructions of the Senate President. On the way, I met these two young ladies who said they had been waiting since morning but still failed to register,” he said. Reports from Melvin Gascon, Inquirer Northern Luzon, and Cathy Yamsuan


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: 2013 midterm elections , Cagayan , Edna Tacazon , Juan Ponce Enrile , Politics , Senate




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
  • Celebrating Easter and creativity in New York
  • Man wins half marathon, dies in Argentina
  • Clouds to bring slight relief from summer heat
  • Canadians rally to legalize marijuana
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement