Manila, Makati close streets near cemeteries on Nov. 1, 2By Niña Calleja, Erika Sauler
Philippine Daily Inquirer
The Makati City government on Monday announced the suspension of the number coding scheme on November 1 and 2 and the implementation of a traffic rerouting plan in areas near cemeteries.
In a statement, Makati Department of Public Safety (DPS) director Hermenegildo San Miguel said the rerouting scheme is aimed at making it easy and convenient for people going to Manila South Cemetery, Makati Public Cemetery and Makati Catholic Cemetery.
According to San Miguel, the following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic: Kalayaan Avenue—from Zapote Street to F. Zobel Street; South Avenue—from Metropolitan to JP Rizal; Vito Cruz—from South Avenue to Zapote Street; N. Garcia (formerly Reposo) Street—from Jupiter to JP Rizal; and Pililia Street—from JP Rizal to Kalayaan Avenue.
On the other hand, the following streets will be open to two-way traffic: JP Rizal—from Pasong Tirad to Makati Avenue; Kalayaan Avenue—from F. Zobel Street to Makati Avenue and from Pasong Tirad to Zapote Street.
San Miguel also said that the traffic rerouting would be in effect until midnight of November 2.
He advised motorists that the number coding scheme would be lifted in Makati from November 1 to 2.
Meanwhile, ambulances and medical teams from Makati Rescue and the Makati Health Department will be deployed to provide medical assistance and emergency first-aid treatment to cemetery goers.
In addition, public safety enforcers and the Makati police will be deployed to assist in traffic management and ensure the peaceful observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.
Earlier, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority also announced the lifting of the number coding scheme on these two days.
In Manila, the city government said it would likewise be effecting a traffic rerouting plan from October 31 to November 1.
Based on the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council’s “Oplan Kaluluwa 2012” scheme, contingency measures and the deployment of policemen have been mapped out for Manila North Cemetery, Manila South Cemetery, La Loma Catholic Cemetery and Chinese Cemetery.
Between 6 a.m. on October 31 and November 1, roads around the Manila North, La Loma and Chinese cemeteries will be closed to traffic—sections of Aurora Boulevard from Dimasalang to Rizal Avenue, Blumentritt from A. Bonifacio to P. Guevarra, Retiro from Dimasalang to Blumentritt Extension, P. Guevarra from Cavite to Pampanga Streets and Leonor Rivera from Cavite to Aurora Boulevard.
Passenger jeepneys coming from Rizal Avenue/Blumentritt should take Cavite and turn right on L. Rivera or Isagani Streets and turn right on Antipolo Street toward their destination. Jeepneys coming from Amoranto Street, on the other hand, should turn right on Cavite, right on Bonifacio while those from Dimasalang should turn right on Makiling and right on Maceda.
For commuters going to La Loma and Chinese cemeteries, vehicles coming from España are advised to take AH Lacson, Tayuman and Blumentritt.
Also, all cars coming from Quiapo, Sta. Cruz, Tondo and Caloocan should take Jose Abad Santos Street or Rizal Avenue Extension.
Last week, Manila Police District director Chief Superintendent Alejandro Gutierrez announced that 2,000 police officers and 2,700 civilian volunteers would be deployed to bus terminals or areas near cemeteries.
“Police officials stationed in some cemeteries are already checking the bags of visitors for sharp objects and other banned items like gun and liquor,” he said.