Sotto to keep mouth shut in cyber law debates until final SC rulingBy Maila Ager
MANILA, Philippines – Buoyed by President Benigno Aquino III’s support for cybercrime law, Senate Majority Leader Vicente “Tito” Sotto III on Tuesday said he would keep his mouth shut in the debates over the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 until the Supreme Court makes a final decision on the controversial law.
But if the Supreme Court decides to strike down the law, Sotto said he would re-file his bill that seeks to abolish the existing libel law under the Revised Penal Code.
He filed the bill last week but withdrew it Monday after the President openly gave his support for the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, including the controversial online libel provisions.
“I withdrew the bill in deference to the stand of the President. The President was very intense in supporting the anti-cybercrime act, including the provisions on libel and therefore it doesn’t speak well of the Senate to discuss, to remove it totally, to abolish it,” Sotto said.
“I’d rather support the President at this point. Therefore I will keep my mouth shut until the Supreme Court decides,” he said.
The court issued a temporary restraining order to stop the implementation of the cybercrime law.