Filing of candidacy papers peaceful so far–policeBy Jamie Marie Elona
MANILA, Philippines—The police alert level in Luzon and Visayas remained normal Monday despite beefed up security in local offices of the Commission on Elections where contenders for senatorial posts file their certificates of candidacy for the midterm polls in May 2013, its spokesman said.
Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said Director General Nicanor Bartolome instructed PNP Regional Directors from Visayas and Mindanao over the weekend to enhance security preparations for this week’s COC filing period in coordination with Comelec authorities.
“Elsewhere in the country, all six Mindanao-based Police Regional Offices including the Special Action Force remain on full alert condition with 100 percent operational readiness to respond to contingencies,” Cerbo said.
In Metro Manila, Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina said patrol units have been deployed to the Palacio del Gobernador Comelec office where VIP’s are expected to come and go to file their respective COC’s until the last day of filing on Friday.
Although, the first day of the COC filing was accentuated by convoys, caravans, marching bands and festive atmosphere, the overall situation remains generally peaceful, Espina said, adding that looking at the history of politics in the city, Metro Manila “has always been peaceful because all contending parties are all peace-loving.”