6 cops, mediaman hurt in Makati demolitionBy Niña Calleja
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines–Six policemen and one media worker were injured after violence erupted in an ongoing attempt by the Makati City government to demolish houses along Guatemala Street before noon Monday, the authorities said.
The demolition teams hired by the city engineering office called “blue boys” tried to enter the barricaded street but bottles, rocks and human wastes thrown at them forced them to retreat.
Water cannons were fired in the government’s attempt to disperse the resisting residents. But the fire trucks had to go back as settlers continued to throw more rocks and bottles.
Among those who suffered wounds and bruises so far were six policemen from Makati police and Southern Police District and RPN 9 cameraman Gerardo Sabatera.
The clash between residents and the authorities began around 11 a.m.
The clearing operation was temporarily put to a halt but the policemen and clearing teams are set to regroup later, Supt Jaime Santos, acting Makati police chief, said.