Tuesday, December 6, 2016
Close  

PNP okays firearms deal

/ 03:48 PM September 20, 2012

PNP Director General Nicanor Bartolome Photo by Matikas Santos/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police Chief Nicanor Bartolome approved Thursday the proposal for the firearms procurement, its spokesman said.

Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said the contract with Trust Trade/Glock Asia was for the procurement of 59,904 9-millimeter pistols. Bartolome signed the contract at around 3:40 p.m. in the presence of the PNP Command Group and Bids and Awards Committee officials.

“I have just consulted our legal officers on all aspects of the procurement process and I will sign it anytime,” Bartolome said in an interview earlier in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

The contract was submitted to Bartolome last September 10 amid reports that some losing bidders were trying to derail the negotiations. The PNP chief was given 15 days to approve or disapprove the proposal from the Bids and Awards Committee.

With the approval, a notice to proceed will be released for the scheduling of shipments.

Deputy Director General Emelito Sarmiento, deputy chief for operations and BAC chairman, said the first batch of pistols consisting of 12,000 units will be delivered 150 days upon the issuance of the notice, and will be completed after 570 days, or roughly 1 year and 7 months.

“This is the first time that our policemen will have firearms [that are] 100 percent that is why we were very careful with our procedures,” Bartolome said.

The bidding process remains suspended for the assault rifles and may be rescheduled.

TAGS: contract, Firearmas, PNP, PNP Chief Nicanor Bartolome, Police
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved