Enrile shrugs off Santiago’s threatBy Matikas Santos
MANILA, Philippines—Senate President Enrile on Monday said “it’s her prerogative” if Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago wants to be absent from Senate sessions in retaliation for the snub of fellow senators who chose not to attend her hearing that initiated a probe on resigned Interior and Local Government Rico E. Puno.
Enrile denied there was any conspiracy between Malacañang and the senators.
Earlier on Monday, Santiago said she intends to get back at fellow senators who snubbed her hearing last Friday.
“Tit for tat. If they snub my hearing, I will snub their session,” Santiago said in a statement Monday.
She alleged that certain Senators were conspiring with cabinet officials in snubbing her hearing as they raised the same issues on the legality of Santiago’s committee hearing.
“The Malacañang letter raises the issue of a lack of resolution passed by the plenary session. This is exactly the same issue raised by Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and Senator Panfilo Lacson,” Santiago said, referring to the excuse letter of Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr.
Senator Vicente Sotto III also shrugged off the threat of the lady senator to not attend Senate sessions this week and to veto the appointment of Manuel Roxas to the DILG if the Senate Committee on Appointments hears his nomination.
“It’s very seldom that we get a hundred percent attendance from everyone, so it’s okay,” Sotto told reporters Monday.
“The absence of one or two senators is very common,” Sotto said.