2 civilians hurt in clash among Moro rebels in Maguindanao – Army reportBy Edwin O. Fernandez
COTABATO CITY, Philippines – Two civilians were hurt when Moro rebels clashed in Maguindanao at dawn Monday, the military here said.
Col. Prudencio Asto, spokesperson of the 6th Infantry Division, said the clash which started at 2 a.m. in Barangay Kitango, Datu Saudi Ampatuan, Maguindanao, involved forces of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters.
Asto said two civilians sustained minor injuries when they were hit by stray bullets.
The warring groups were pacified when the MILF 105th base command leader Ustadz Wahid Tundok arrived and separated the warring groups who spent about an hour or two trading bullets and rockets.
The fresh skirmishes also led to the evacuation of about 40 families who had just returned to their respective communities after the armed conflict between BIFF and the Army last month waned.
“We have reports that both sides suffered casualties but we do not have the figures,” Asto told the Philippine Dailiy Inquirer.
He said the military did not interfere in the recent armed conflict.
Last month, about 45,000 civilians were displaced when BIFF forces simultaneously attacked military and paramilitary detachments in Maguindanao’s five towns.
Late last month, the situation was normalized and the displaced families have returned home.