Military deploys troops on island following attack on mayorInquirer Mindanao
DIGOS CITY, Philippines—The military said Friday it has deployed more troops on the island municipality of Sarangani in Davao del Sur to improve security there as the police continued to investigate a failed attempt to assassinate Sarangani Mayor Jerry Cawa.
Senior Superintendent Ronaldo Llanera, Davao del Sur police director, said investigators have no lead yet on who might have been behind the attack on Cawa, which took place 6 p.m. Thursday in Barangay Batuganding in Sarangani. But he said they were looking at politics as the most likely motive.
In General Santos City, Cawa told reporters on Friday that he went to Barangay Gomtago earlier in the day to inspect a government project with two escorts in tow.
On their way home, Cawa said, an undetermined number of gunmen ambushed the vehicle he was driving as it passed by Sitio Kawacan in Barangay Batuganding.
He said his security escorts, Jeffrey Mandod, was hit on the right arm and was out of danger.
“I stepped hard on the accelerator after the first burst of gunfire. My other bodyguard and myself were just lucky for surviving the ambush unscathed. I thank God for giving me a second lease on life,” Cawa said.
He said the ambush could be politically motivated but, “I don’t want to point an accusing finger at anybody. Let’s wait for the results of police investigation.”
Lieutenant Colonel Lyndon Paniza, spokesperson of the military’s 10th Infantry Division based in Davao City, said more soldiers were sent to Sarangani town to beef up security there.
Reports from Eldie Aguirre, Orlando Dinoy and Aquiles Zonio, Inquirer Mindanao