Puffer fish kills two in Zamboanga CityBy Jamie Marie Elona
MANILA, Philippines—Two persons were killed in Zamboanga City Wednesday evening after eating one of the most poisonous creatures of the sea, the puffer fish, police said.
Rodrigo Pioquinto, 53, and Randy Algodon 32, were killed after eating the puffer fish, locally known as “butete,” which they ate as finger food during their drinking session at the house of Pioquinto in Barangay (village) Patalon in Zamboanga City around 10 p.m. Wednesday, a report of the Zamboanga City Police Office said.
The report said it was after two hours when the victims started vomitting, prompting their relatives to rush them to the hospital.
But Pioquinto and Algodon died while undergoing treatment, the report said.