4 MPD cops in hot water
Pasig trader, GF, sis cry kidnap-extortionBy Nancy C. Carvajal
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Four Manila policemen are facing charges for allegedly kidnapping and extorting money from a businessman, his girlfriend and his sister in Barangay Bambang, Pasig City, last month.
PO2 Luisito M. Gutierrez and PO1s Anthony Fernandez, Paulo Levin Angelo Nerviza and Wilfredo Cinco, all assigned at the Sta. Mesa station, “had stopped reporting for work” since their alleged victims came out to lodge complaints, according to an official of the Manila Police District.
In a statement to the police, businessman Niel Hayuhay said he and his girlfriend Divine Lapuz had just arrived at his home on a motorcycle and was parking it outside when three of the four policemen arrived in two vehicles at around 4 p.m. on Aug. 24.
Fernandez, who got out of a black Honda, allegedly cuffed him and then dragged him and his girlfriend into the car. He then took the keys to Hayuhay’s residence and entered the house.
Nerviza and Gutierrez, who arrived in a Mitsubishi Adventure, followed Fernandez to the house, where they also put Niel’s sister Lea Hayuhay in handcuffs and took her wallet and necklace.
The businessman said the four introduced themselves as policemen based in Camp Crame but brought him and the two women to the Sta. Mesa station.
Fernandez then threatened to charge them with possession of illegal drugs if they don’t cough up P200,000, he alleged.
Cinco later arrived at the station accompanied by a woman who said Cinco could “help” them. But Cinco instead raised the demand to P250,000, he said.
Hayuhay said they were able to negotiate for a lower amount—P75,000—for their release. Gutierrez received P15,000 at the station, while the balance of P60,000 was later given to Cinco at the complainant’s house.
In an interview on Friday, SPO3 James Pozo of the MPD general assignment section said the four policemen had been ordered to report to headquarters regarding the complaints but were yet to show up.
“Kidnapping charges will be filed against these policemen, who I gathered had stopped reporting for work,” Pozo told the Inquirer.
Pozo said the policemen used a messenger to submit a post-operation report purportedly signed by Chief Insp. Alexander Reyes de Jesus, officer in charge of the Sta. Mesa station, regarding some arrests they made in Pasig.
However, “there were no records appearing on the blotter of Station 8 (Sta. Ana) about the turnover of the arrested persons,” Pozo added.
Pozo also noted that the names which appeared on the arrest warrants that were supposedly served by the four policemen were not those of the Hayuhay siblings and Lapuz.