Carabuena may still lose driver’s license for bullying traffic enforcer
LTO sends cigarette firm exec subpoenaBy Paolo G. Montecillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—The Philip Morris executive who assaulted a Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) traffic enforcer earlier this month may lose his driver’s license pending results of an investigation by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) on the incident.
The LTO’s National Capital Region (NCR) division this week sent a subpoena to Robert Blair Carabuena, who was caught on camera mauling the MMDA enforcer that pulled him over for a traffic violation.
Carabuena was ordered to personally appear at the LTO’s Quezon City office last August 28 “to show cause, in writing and under oath,” to give his side on why his driver’s license should not be revoked.
The LTO’s move was made following the request of MMDA’s Yves Gonzalez, head of the agency’s Traffic Discipline Office, for the cancellation of Carabuena’s license.
The LTO said Carabuena would be charged with “direct assault.” He faces a permanent ban from driving in the Philippines if his license is revoked.
Carabuena has publicly apologized for his actions against MMDA Traffic Constable Saturnino Fabros. MMDA Chair Francisco Tolentino accepted the public apology last August 23, but the agency still filed a complaint for direct assault against Carabuena.
Carabuena gained notoriety after he was caught on video by a TV5 crew berating and slapping Fabros when he was pulled over by the traffic enforcer on Capitol Hills Drive at the corner of Tandang Sora in Quezon City.
The video was posted on website YouTube.com and became “viral,” Carabuena’s bullying drawing widespread condemnation from Internet users.
LTO-NCR Director Teofilo Guadiz III declined to comment on the merits of the case. The final decision to revoke or just temporarily suspend Carabuena’s license, Guadiz said, would be left to LTO chief Virginia Torres.