Comelec set to release list of disqualified party-list groups
MANILA, Philippines—The Commission on Elections is set to release a list of disqualified party-list groups by September, its spokesman said on Wednesday.
Comelec spokesperson James Arthur Jimenez told reporters the poll body cleanse the list by removing the unqualified groups from the existing 127 registered party-lists.
Jimenez said that only the qualified party-lists could continue serving their terms in the House of Representatives.
The Comelec is currently holding hearings with party-lists to determine whether their accreditation will be retained or cancelled.
Comelec has recently warned that Ang Galing Pinoy party-list, led by Representative Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo, might be disqualified after it failed to appear in a Comelec hearing last week.
Jimenez saw this process to be useful in determining which party-lists rightfully represent the marginalized sectors. Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. questioned how multi-millionaires are able to represent the poor.
Brillantes explained that they sought to understand how party-list lawmakers’ pork barrel were being utilized and also wanted to scrutinize their Statements of Assets, Liabilities and Net worth (SALNs).
When Cagayan de Oro Representative Rufus Rodriguez questioned the process, Brillantes said that it was necessary to cancel the accreditation of some party-lists that are unqualified to represent marginalized groups.
Disqualified groups could file an appeal, said Jimenez.