DOJ launches pursuit operations vs escaped murdererBy Tetch Torres
MANILA, Philippines–The Department of Justice has deployed a 5-man team to Isabela after receiving information that murder convict Rommel Laciste was spotted in the area.
Laciste, an inmate at the Maximum Security Compound of the New Bilibid Prison was discovered missing late last week.
In a text message to reporters, Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said the team is conducting hot pursuit operations in an effort to recover Laciste.
She added that she has already ordered custodial officers and officials of the NBP to submit a show cause memoranda to explain why they should not be held administratively and or criminally liable.
“Show cause memos have been issued to about 10 custodial officers and personnel to explain in writing within 48 hours why no administrative sanctions should be imposed on them,” De Lima said.
The DoJ believed that Laciste managed to escape by sneaking at the back of a rice delivery truck that arrived and left last week. DeLima said a review of the footage at the exit gate showed no thorough inspection of the departing delivery truck done by NBP security personnel.
“[T]he rice hull delivery truck… was haphazardly inspected at Gate IV when it exited at about 2:30 pm, Aug. 15, as shown in the video footage from the Operations Center,” she said.
Laciste was discovered missing the same week convicted murderer Rolito Go was allegedly abducted and released by his abductors.
De Lima is currently the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officer-in-charge after BuCor Director Gaudencio Pangilinan went on indefinite leave to give way on the investigation surrounding Go’s alleged abduction.