‘Suspend arrest warrant against my son,’ rebel leader asks Aquino
DAVAO CITY — National Democratic Front (NDF) Mindanao spokesman Jorge Madlos is appealing to President Benigno Aquino III to stay the warrant of arrest against his son, who was charged with arson, so he could attend his grandmother’s wake and burial.
Madlos, also known by his nom de guerre as Ka Oris, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer by phone that his mother, Dorothea Madlos, passed in Surigao City on Thursday last week.
“She was 98 and only two years shy of being a centenarian,” he said.
Madlos said he knew that with the large number of cases filed against him, he could not easily go to Surigao and attend the wake and burial of his mother.
He said if he did so, bounty hunters would have a good time if they turned him over with the P5.6 million-reward the government has dangled for his arrest.
“I would like to appeal to Noynoy [President Aquino] to suspend the warrant of arrest against my son so that he can attend the burial of his grandmother,” Madlos said.
He said his son, Vincent Isagani, had been charged with arson even though he had not committed any crime.
Madlos said his son had not joined the rebel movement and was quietly working as a call center agent in Cebu when authorities accused him of arson.
He did not specify what incident the charge was based on.
“How I wish that my son can attend the wake and the burial to represent me, since I cannot participate,” Madlos said.
The date of the burial of Madlos’ mother has not been decided on yet.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.