Probe of Marcos hazing death to continue after being disrupted by floodsBy Marlon Ramos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—The monsoon rains, which caused massive floods in Metro Manila and its neighboring provinces since Monday, have disrupted the police investigation into the death of hazing victim Marc Andre Marcos, a police official said on Thursday.
Senior Superintendent John Bulalacao, Cavite police director, said the policemen assigned to investigate the death of the San Beda College freshman law student had been deployed to help in the rescue and relief operations in flooded villages in the province.
He said heavy rains had caused creeks and rivers in Cavite to swell, swamping the low-lying areas while worsening the effects of the high tide in coastal communities of the province.
“Our investigation was hampered by the flooding because we could hardly move. My men were diverted to rescue missions and relief operations,” Bulalacao said in a mobile phone interview.
He, however, assured the victim’s relatives that the police would do its best to ensure the speedy resolution of the murder case.
“In fact, we have scheduled activities to be conducted to continue with our investigation of the hazing incident,” he said.
Bulalacao said Angelito “Itan” Veluz, owner of the 12-hectare farm in Dasmariñas City where Marcos was reportedly subjected to initiation rites of the Lex Leonum Fraternitas, had yet to contact the police after he vowed to turn in his son Gian Angelo, a member of the fraternity, last week.
“We are still focusing on Gian Angelo and the other members of his fraternity because they were identified as those involved in Marcos’ death,” he said.
Gian Angelo, 27, a third-year law student of San Beda, had apparently gone into hiding after he and his family’s cooks, Soledad Sanda and Marlen Guadayo, were implicated in the death of Marcos.
The watchman of the De La Salle University Medical Center identified them as among those who rushed the victim to the hospital on the night of July 29.
Marcos, 21, a native of Ramos, Tarlac, died the following day due to severe physical injuries.
The police had since filed a murder case in relation to the anti-hazing law against Gian Angelo, Sanda and Guadayo at the Cavite prosecutor’s office.
Superintendent Romeo Desiderio, Cavite police spokesperson, said the elder Veluz and Lex Leonum members Cornelio Marcelo, a certain Mark and others would also be included as respondents in the amended complaint that the police would file next week.