Muntinlupa has more than 1700 evacueesBy Jaymee T. Gamil
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—As of 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Muntinlupa city has more than 1700 evacuees, as they have rescued residents in flooded areas since Sunday.
In a phone interview, city disaster risk reduction and management council administrative aide Dexter Turaray said most of the evacuees came from the Lakeshore Village area and nearby communities. Eight areas have so far been evacuated to nearby elementary schools and covered courts, he said.
Other areas evacuated were Joaquin Compound in Alabang; Barangay Bayanan Purok 4, 5 and 6; Barangay Putatan, Purok 1, PNR site; Sitio Espeleta Pantalan in Poblacion; and Brgy. Tunasan.
Two hundred twenty-two families are now staying at the Sucat Elementary School; 49 families at Buli ES; 470 at the Cupang ES and covered court; 135 in Alabang ES; 188 at the Bayanan ES and Alternative Learning Center; 480 families in Putatan ES; 268 at the
Muntinlupa ES; 114 at Tunasan ES.
Turaray described the worst floods in the city reaching “hip-high.”
With heavy rains continuing to fall in the city, evacuation is still ongoing, he added.