Cops await arrest warrants vs hazing suspectsBy Marlon Ramos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
The Philippine National Police on Sunday said it was waiting for the release of the arrest warrants against those charged with the death of hazing victim Marc Andre Marcos before carrying out a manhunt for them.
In a phone interview, Senior Superintendent John Bulalacao, Cavite police director, deplored that Angelito “Itan” Veluz, owner of a farm in Dasmarinas City in Cavite, where Marcos reportedly underwent initiation rites, had not made good his promise to surrender his son, Gian Angelo, for investigation.
Gian Angelo was among those allegedly involved in the initiation rites of the fraternity Lex Leonum Fraternitas.
Bulalacao said Veluz failed to contact him and the investigators despite promising to turn in his son.
“I don’t think [Veluz] will still surrender his son to us. If he really wanted to, he would have turned him over to us by now,” Bulalacao said.
He said Veluz disclosed that he was able to contact his son last week.
“The important thing is that we have already filed a case against them. We will just wait for the issuance of the warrants of arrest so we could launch the manhunt,” Bulalacao said.
He said the police could not apply the principle of “hot pursuit” in arresting Veluz, his son and the other accused without a warrant since the PNP was informed of Marcos’ death more than 24 hours after it happened.