4 Cebu fishers rescued, 5 others missing in wake of stormBy Jhunnex Napallacan
CEBU CITY, Philippines—Four fishermen were rescued while five others remained missing after their boats encountered rough seas off Bantayan Island on Monday morning, local officials said on Tuesday.
Two of the rescued fishermen were identified as Rudy Baro, in his 40s, and Ramon Beringuel, 45, both residents of Barangay (village) Bitoon, Sta. Fe town, on Guintarcan Island.
Baro and Beringuel, who were on a small boat, and five other fishermen on board a bigger boat, encountered big waves caused by a storm on Monday morning as they were returning to Guintarcan Island from Tanguingi Islet, where they had been fishing for several days.
The engine of the smaller boat conked out but drifted toward Carnasa Island, Daan Bantayan town, where the two fishermen were rescued on Monday afternoon.
The five others, whose names were not available, were still missing.
The seven men were reported missing after they failed to return to Guintarcan Island on Monday, said Barangay Captain Marcos Gilbuena of Bitoon.
Gilbuena said he only found out that the fishermen had not yet returned when some of their companions expressed surprise that they arrived ahead of the seven who left Tanguingi islet at 11 a.m. Monday, hours ahead of them.
Carnasa barangay captain Joe Moreno, in a separate interview, said Baro and Beringuel were in good condition and were staying at the house of a barangay councilor.
Rolando Punzalan, Cebu Coast Guard station commander, said that rough seas had prevented coast guards on Bantayan Island from conducting a search for the seven fishermen.
Meanwhile, a man and his son-in-law were also rescued by a passing fisherman after their pump boat conked out Monday afternoon between the islets of Quintarcan and Tanguingi, Gilbuena said.
The two, identified only as Wilson and son-in-law Dodong, returned to their homes in the mountain area of Bitoon following their rescue, Gilbuena said.