Arroyo temporary freedom not a setback for gov’t – DrilonBy Katherine Evangelista
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Franklin Drilon said that despite the temporary freedom granted to former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the government will continue to go after her for her alleged crimes.
The statement came after Arroyo’s lawyers posted a P1-million bail at the Pasay City Regional Trial Court.
“The right to bail is the right [of] an accused. But the government will not go slow in prosecuting GMA (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) for her abuses and excesses of her nine-year misrule,” Drilon said in a statement.
“As P-Noy (President Benigno Aquino III) said in his Sona (state of the nation address), this is not vindictiveness. This is about justice and holding public officials accountable for their actions,” he added.
Arroyo, who is facing electoral sabotage charges, was released after Pasay City Regional Trial Court Judge Jesus Mupas signed the release order around Wednesday noon. Earlier, Mupas said that the evidence against Arroyo is weak.
Arroyo has been detained at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center since her arrest in November last year.