I Shall Return 50K Ultramarathon
Ultramarathons anywhere in the world are one of the simplest most down to earth races. Organizers seldom give cash prizes, and hardcore ultrarunners, including the winners, do not expect cash prizes in return for their Herculean efforts.
But every once in a while, ultramarathon race organizers find generous sponsors who believe in the potential in this growing endurance sport. One such is race is the “I Shall Return 50KM Ultramarathon Challenge” in Tacloban City on Aug. 18, 2012.
Podium finishers of the solo and relay categories will receive the following cash prizes: 1st male and female in the solo category will get P25,000 each; 2nd placers will get P10,00 each, 3rd placers will receive P5,000. The relay teams will get P10,000, P6,000 and P4,000 for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd relay teams for a total cash prize of P120,000. This is one of the most generous ultramarathons next to the Mayon 360 50-miler.
I Shall Return 50KM Ultra Marathon Challenge will start on Aug. 18 at 4 a.m. at the Tacloban City Convention Center and will end at 2 p.m. of the same day the Tacloban City Amphitheater. The cut-off time is 10 hours. Runners will pass through famous sites in Tacloban and Palo, Leyte including the MacArthur Landing Memorial Park and the San Juanico Bridge — the country’s longest bridge.
There will be a solo and 2-person categories. Participants may register at A Runner’s Circle Running Store (Manila), frontRUNNER Magazine (Makati), R8 Cycling (Tacloban, Leyte) or online. Registration ends on Aug. 1, 2012. The race is open to all interested runners regardless of nationality. Foreigners will not be required to submit working permits.
• During registration, participants must be 18 years old and above, and must be physically and mentally fit.
• Participants in the solo event (50K) must have at least completed one official marathon (42.2 kilometers); participants of the relay must have finished at least one official half marathon (21K).
• Registration fee (inclusive of dri-fit finisher’s t-shirt and medal) is P950 for solo (50K); P750 each for relay.
• Special hot meals will be served at the finish line for all finishers.
• Shuttle service up to the half way check point will be provided for relay 2nd leg runners and a return shuttle service to the finish line for the relay 1st leg runners.
• Distribution of race packets and final briefing will be on August 17, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at Balyuan Convention Center (Tacloban City).
• There will be a Carbo-Loading Party after the briefing and an additional P250 will be charged to those who will bring their family, non participant friends or support crew.
• No registration fee refund will be given for whatever reason/s stated for non-appearance or non-participation during race day.
For clarifications, please call: Jonel Mendoza at 0922 822 9342 / 843 2487 / 09178030664 or Kharl Ocampo of Team Intensity at 09175713935.
Cebu Race Calendar
Meanwhile here’s the race calendar for races in Cebu for the rest of July and the month of August:
July 28, 2012 ST. IGNATIUS RUN 2 16K/6K/3K
July 29, 2012 RED CROSS HUMANITY RACE 16K/8K/4K
July 29, 2012 COMPOSTELA DREAM RUN 15K/ 10/5K
Aug. 5, 2012 COBRA IRONMAN 70.3 PHILS.
Aug. 19, 2012 7th. CDU UNIVERSITY RUN 25K/ 13K
Aug. 19, 2012 TIMEX RUN – CEBU 16K/ 10K
Aug. 26, 2012 SMOKE-FREE RUN 2 21K
Aug. 26, 2012 ARMSCOR RUN 2 21K/10K/5K.
For more information regarding registration fees and race details, you may visit the registration site for these races at Runnr in Ayala Center Cebu.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94