‘Cop’ who blocked Aquino’s convoy had been dismissed twice, says NapolcomBy DJ Yap
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—A police officer who refused to give way to the convoy of President Benigno Aquino III in Quezon City last week is in even deeper trouble.
Officials discovered that Senior Police Officer 2 Ricardo C. Pascua Sr. had been dismissed from the service not once but twice on grave misconduct charges but managed to “wiggle his way around and hoodwinked” his superiors into reinstating him, Interior Secretary Jesse M. Robredo said Saturday.
Citing reports submitted to him by the National Police Commission, Robredo said SPO2 Pascua was dismissed twice – in June 2001 and December 2002 – based on two separate decisions by two People’s Law Enforcement Board (PLEB) offices in Quezon City.
Based on the Napolcom records, Robredo said the first case against Pascua was filed by one Amalia Buenaventura-Peregrina for robbery/extortion and violation of other laws before the QC PLEB District II-A office.
The second case was filed by one Siony V. Tabuac for illegal arrest of sidewalk vendors before the QC PLEB District III office.
“In both cases, the PLEB ordered the dismissal of Pascua. Such orders of dismissal from the PLEB are immediately executory under Napolcom Memorandum Circular Nos. 91-002 and 2002-010,” Robredo said in a statement.
“This means SPO2 Pascua should have considered himself dismissed from the service at that time,” he added.
Despite his dismissal, Pascua still “posed” as a member of the Philippine National Police and filed an appeal before the Napolcom’s Regional Appellate Board (RAB), but the board affirmed the two PLEB decisions, Robredo said.
But Pascua filed subsequent appeals on the Tabuac case and secured his own reinstatement without informing the PNP and the Department of the Interior and Local Government about his dismissal order on the Peregrina case, Robredo said.
“It is evident that SPO2 Pascua, in clear and evident bad faith, and with intent to defraud the government, misrepresented himself as a bona fide member of the PNP since June 30, 2001 when he was dismissed by the PLEB on the Peregrina case,” Robredo said.
The Napolcom, he said, will inform the PNP on its findings on the Pascua case and require clarifications why the latter remained in active duty with the PNP despite two PLEB dismissal orders against
“The Napolcom will also investigate and initiate filing of criminal charges against SPO2 Pascua for usurpation of authority and illegally drawing salaries and other benefits from the PNP,” Robredo said.
On Tuesday, Pascua, who was driving a Mitsubishi Adventure van, made headlines after he refused to yield to the presidential convoy.
He was later found to be driving without license and keeping an illegally installed siren or “wang-wang” in a private vehicle, among other violations.
Pascua is also likely to face a physical injury charge when one of the presidential motorcycle security escorts fell off his bike while trying to stop him from driving away, the DILG said.