Representative Tupas intends to appeal SC decision on JBC compositionBy Matikas Santos
INQUIRER.net, Radyo Inquirer 990AM
MANILA, Philippines—Iloilo Representative Niel Tupas Jr. said Thursday that they intend to appeal the Supreme Court’s decision allowing only one representative from both houses of Congress in the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC).
“We have not yet received the official decision, we just received information that the SC decided last Tuesday through a vote of 7-2 in favor of Frank Chavez’s petition that questioned the composition of the JBC,” Tupas said in an interview with Radyo Inquirer 990AM.
Former Solicitor General Frank Chavez had previously filed a petition before the Supreme Court questioning the JBC’s composition which has two representatives from Congress: Tupas from the House of Representatives and Francis Escudero from the Senate.
A newspaper had reported that the SC already acted on the petition allowing only one representative from both houses.
“I have already asked the solicitor general, which acts as the attorney for the House and Senate, to prepare a motion for reconsideration,” Tupas said.
He said the decision will not yet be final and executory and they will file the motion for reconsideration if they have a chance.