MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) challenged those claiming that the two foreign terrorists killed by a military airstrike were still alive to show proof of life.
“The burden of proof will have to come from those who are claiming that these two (Jemaah-Islamiyah [JI] ) are still alive,” Colonel Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos, AFP Spokesman said in a press briefing Wednesday.
The two JI leaders, Malaysian Zulkifli bin Hir alias “Marwan” and Singaporean Mohammad Abdullah Ali alias “Muawiyah”, were said to have been killed in an airstrike by Philippine forces in February 2, 2012.
An exclusive news report by an online news organization said that, based on classified documents confirmed by US, Philippine, and Malaysian intelligence sources, the JI leaders were still alive and are now in a Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) controlled territory in central Mindanao.
“The AFP maintains its position that the two JI were killed in the airstrike that took place last February, this is based on our intelligence operatives on the ground. This remains to be so unless or until proof of life is shown by whoever is claiming that they are still alive,” Burgos said.
The military had earlier said that there were only little remains from the bomb strike.
When asked if there were already results from the DNA testing of what little remains they found, Burgos said that there are still no results.
He also said that they have no other proof of their death other than intelligence reports.
Marwan has a $5 million reward on his head while Muawiyah has a $500,000 reward for his capture or death.