54 migrants die of thirst in Mediterranean boat dramaAgence France-Presse
The rescued man, who drank sea water to survive, was spotted clinging to a jerry can and the remains of the stricken boat off the Tunisian coast on Monday night by fishermen who alerted the coast guard, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said.
The man, who is being treated in a Tunisian hospital for exposure and dehydration, said there was no fresh water on board and people started to perish within days, including three members of his family.
“He’s in a pretty awful state and he’s obviously gone through a terrible, terrible experience progressively watching his family members dying,” said Sybella Wilkes, UNHCR spokeswoman.
In his account of the 15-day ordeal, the man from Eritrea said 55 people boarded the boat in the Libyan capital Tripoli in late June and reached the Italian coast a day later.
But high winds forced the vessel back out to sea and within a few days the boat had punctured and air started to leak out, the man told the UNHCR.
He said more than half of the victims were from Eritrea and that the remaining victims came from a number of countries.
“This is a tragedy,” said T. Alexander Aleinikoff, deputy high commissioner for refugees. “I call upon all vessels at sea to be on heightened alert for migrants and refugees needing rescue in the Mediterranean.”
The UN agency estimates that 170 people have been declared dead or lost at sea attempting to make the journey from Libya to Europe so far this year.
Greece and Italy are the two main entry points for undocumented immigrants into the European Union, and Italy in particular has seen a spike in arrivals over the past year following the Arab Spring revolts in North Africa.
Malta is also a frequent landing point but is increasingly being spurned by immigrants worried about the relatively lengthy registration process for new arrivals, the UNHCR said.
“With that knowledge, people are going on to Italy,” said Wilkes.
“We didn’t see this at all last year, that boats are finding their way to Malta and then refusing to go in.”
So far in 2012, more than 1,300 people have made the sea journey to Italy from Libya, the UNHCR said. The busiest period for crossings is from May to September, when the Mediterranean Sea is at its calmest, the agency added.