Dolphy undergoes operation to ease breathingCebu Daily News
MANILA— Comedian Dolphy underwent a medical procedure called tracheostomy last Saturday night “to alleviate him from the discomfort and make it easier for his organs to functions properly,” his son Eric Quizon announced yesterday.
“We are aware of the risk of this procedure—he will now be more prone to infection—but this has made him feel more comfortable,” Quizon told reporters yesterday afternoon at the Makati Medical Center, where his father has been confined at the intensive care unit (ICU) since last week.
“After the tracheostomy at 10 p.m. on Saturday, his blood pressure normalized and his heart rate improved. Although there are still fluctuations, these have become less frequent and less radical,” the actor-director added.
Tracheostomy is a procedure that involves opening an airway directly through the neck to help an ill person’s breathing.
Quizon then clarified that, contrary to earlier reports, Dolphy was still at a critical stage and still confined at the ICU.
“He was taken out of the ICU only because the doctors needed to perform the tracheostomy,” he explained.
Dolphy also underwent kidney dialysis for almost seven hours on Sunday, Quizon reported.
“Since his body responded well to it, his doctors said this would be performed on him as long as he needs it. They said there could still be a solution to my Dad’s kidney problem.”
Dolphy first underwent dialysis last Thursday, but doctors discontinued it on Friday after the comedian’s heart rate shot up and his blood pressure went down.
This was resumed at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Quizon added.
“His progress is steady, albeit very slow,” said Quizon. “The family is relieved because of this—at least, there’s progress.”
Quizon also pointed out that the comedian still had pneumonia and was still being treated for his chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), as of Sunday.
He added that his father has remained on respirator, “which has been removed from his mouth and now passes through his neck.”
Asked on the possibility of Dolphy being removed from the ICU soon, Quizon said: “We’re not losing hope. It really depends on how fast or slow his health improves. What’s good is that he’s more responsive these days. He’s awake longer.”
Quizon also reported that the doctors were still trying to find the cause of an internal bleeding.
“It’s still there. Doctors still can’t perform surgery on him to remedy this.”
On Saturday, he explained that, “this could be in the stomach. Since this is where his medicines pass through, the stomach lining could be thinning. It could also be in the colon or in the intestines.”
The actor-director then called on his father’s supporters to “please continue praying for him. Whatever you’re doing, it’s working. I hope you will also include us, his family, in your prayers.”
Quizon added: “The family has already accepted the fact that there would be more episodes like this in the future, probably worse than this, but we’re prepared.”
Dolphy was diagnosed with Stage 4 COPD in 2009. The disease causes the airways of a person to become narrowed.
It gradually gets worse over time, and a person diagnosed with the disease have more frequent lung infections such as pneumonia.
Dolphy has survived 10 bouts with pneumonia since his birthday last year, Quizon said. He will turn 84 on July 25. /Inquirer