Ice plant gas leak forces QC evacuationBy Nancy C. Carvajal
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Residents of Barangay Sta. Cruz in Quezon City were forced out of their homes early Saturday by toxic chemical fumes from a local ice plant.
At least one person, a nine-year-old girl, was rushed to the hospital while up to 256 residents were given temporary shelter at the barangay hall, away from the ammonia leak.
Barangay chair Ernesto Baetiong said Geraldine Oropesa was brought to Quezon City General Hospital for eye irritation and difficulty in breathing.
Baetiong said the residents had to be evacuated at around 10 a.m. due to the ammonia leak from the Genuino Ice Plant on Colonel Moran Street.
“The evacuation was just a precautionary action to ensure their safety,” he explained.
He said the plant had been closed over the last four days because of malfunctioning equipment. Initial investigation showed that the leak originated from a broken valve.
The leak, which required a response from the Quezon City fire department, was contained at around 1 p.m., he said.