Accused Daza in-law replaced in Bulacan councilPhilippine Daily Inquirer
Resigned Bulacan board member Allan Robes, who is facing homicide charges for the death of the erstwhile boyfriend of his mother-in-law, former Quezon City Representative Nanette Castelo-Daza, has been replaced.
Following Robes’ resignation in May, Ryan Santos, who lost his 2010 bid for a council seat in San Jose del Monte, had been appointed to take his place as board member, Vice Governor Daniel Fernando said on Wednesday.
Santos is scheduled to take his oath of office before President Benigno Aquino III in July, Fernando said.
Robes wrote the provincial board in May on his decision to quit in order to spend more time with his wife, Quezon City Councilor Jessica Castelo, who recently gave birth. Castelo is Daza’s daughter.
He was charged with homicide for the fatal shooting of Noel Orate Sr. on February 10 at the Castelo-Daza house in Quezon City. Robes claimed that he was only defending himself and his family from Orate, who allegedly became violent.
Since the incident, Robes had attended the provincial board sessions twice until he resigned.
On February 21, the board passed a resolution that urged Bulacan residents to treat Robes with respect, saying he remained innocent unless proven guilty in court for killing Orate.
The resolution said: “[Robes] is currently facing charges for defending himself and his family. He is fighting for the truth in order to clear his name and prove his innocence. Under the law he has the right to explain what genuinely transpired and should be treated as innocent until proven guilty.” Carmela Reyes-Estrope, Inquirer Central Luzon