Quantcast
Latest Stories

Pagasa unveils color coding for rain alerts

By

INQUIRER PHOTO / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Is it going to rain today? The weather bureau will deliver the answer to this age-old question in yellow, green or red.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical  and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) on Tuesday unveiled a color-coded rainfall alert system and a thunderstorm warning system for Metro Manila, a first for the country.

The new warning system should help communities and local governments  prepare for landslides, flash floods and river spills that could necessitate evacuation, Pagasa said.

Under the heavy rainfall warning system, a yellow warning is raised when the expected rainfall amount is between 7.5 mm to 15 mm within one hour and likely to continue.

Communities given this advisory are advised to be aware of the weather condition and warned that flooding may be possible in low-lying areas.

The green alert is raised in areas where rainfall is between 15 mm to 30 mm within one hour. Flooding is a definite threat in communities under the green alert.

A red alert is issued when downpours constitute an emergency, Pagasa said. This is raised when observed rainfall is more than 30 mm within one hour or if rainfall has continued for the past three hours and is more than 65 mm.

When Pagasa raises this warning, communities should be prepared to respond. It means serious flooding is seen and that residents should be ready to evacuate to safety.

Thunderstorms alert

The alert system for thunderstorms, which produces isolated rain showers for short durations, specifies the likelihood of the formation of this weather condition over a certain area.

It will be raised when thunderstorm formation is likely within the next 12 hours and when it threatens a specific area within the next two hours.

All these alert systems will be disseminated through SMS, Twitter, the Pagasa website  and faxed advisories.

In the case of tropical storms, Pagasa will issue two warnings that would give a better picture of the weather conditions over certain areas.

One will constitute the public storm warning signals, which is based on the cyclone’s wind strength, and the other will be for rainfall amount.

“The rains from a cyclone are not symmetric. Some areas will have more rains than others,” said Pagasa Administrator Nathaniel Servando.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


More Philippine Weather News

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Forecast , Government , Pagasa , Rain Alerts , Weather


  • Loggnat

    They should go by percentage (%) chance of rain to give them some leeway and be more realistic. Nobody can really forecast where the exact place the rain will fall. It is only possible to forecast the chances of rainfall along the path of an existing raincloud. It is a good ‘palusot’ too. If they predicted 80% chances of rain and it did not rain, they can always say that it fell under the 20% of no rain. And for thunderstorms, just make a severe weather warning followed by exact areas that will be affected. For flood, a possible flood warning and a evacuation alert if there is an imminent danger of severe flooding. That should be simple enough for everybody to understand and prevents misunderstanding because some people will probably be confuse on which color means and what mm of rain will fall. =))

  • panis

    i truly appreciate the effort of pag-asa for adapting such information system on weather for the Philippine condition… more power to you guys sana start na ito ng mas maganda pang weather information system natin…. please look into adapting such system for the benefit of farming communities…for harvesting schedule and drying grains (corn and palay) malaking bagay ang info kung uulan o hindi… malaki ang impact nito sa kita ng farmers. thanks

  • panis

    ooop sorry PAGASA not-pag-asa…

  • http://www.facebook.com/titobobot Tito Bobot

    Assigning the “Green” color for this application is wrong. Green color normally use for positive statement. They should go for yellow, orange, red where red color signify the worst condition.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • 50 Quezon City cops each carry 30-kg crosses
  • AFP: Abu Sayyaf group, not MILF, target of Basilan operation
  • Massive infra spending set
  • DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  • Metro residents brace for long, ‘dry’ spell
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • Are your favorite malls open this Holy Week break?
  • Celebrate Easter Sunday at Buddha-Bar Manila
  • Moriones feast: A slow, steady transformation
  • Weaving ‘palaspas’ a tradition kept alive in Tayabas City
  • Finalists announced for best translated books
  • Entertainment

  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Mommy-daughter adventure continues
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement