I’m staying–Almendras

A+
A
A-

Energy Secretary Jose Rene D. Almendras

MANILA, Philippines—Amid persistent rumors of a Cabinet revamp, Energy Secretary Jose Rene D. Almendras on Friday said he would stay put at his current post for as long as President Benigno Aquino III wants him there.

In a briefing on Friday, Almendras said rumors of him being assigned to another post likely surfaced  “because apparently, some people probably want me out of the job or some people think probably I will be better in another job.”

“It will be the President who will be the one to make that decision, and until such time that the President makes that decision, I think we should all wait. Until that decision is made, I will continue to do my job as best as I can. There is no certainty that I will stay, there is also no certainty that I will leave,” Almendras said.

Almendras said he would not stay one minute longer in his position once President Aquino decides to replace him.

“I will not do anything to try to hold on to this job. I have no qualms of staying. I also have no qualms of being replaced. There are rumors that I am being demoted and I have no problem with that. That will even be a very welcome relief. It will be up to the Malacañang team if there will be any changes. But as far as I am concerned, I have not been formally advised if there will be changes,” he explained.

The energy chief, however, admitted that while there has been no official communication regarding his transfer, he has had “informal talks” with President Aquino about the things that can be done to improve the way things are being implemented.

Almendras, however, did not say whether these talks involved his possible transfer.

At the National Bureau of Investigation, President Aquino has also yet to find a replacement for former NBI Director Magtanggol Gatdula, who was sacked early this year.

Undersecretary Abigail Valte, President Aquino’s deputy spokesperson, said an officer in charge had been running the day-to-day operations of the NBI.

“I’m not aware if a short list has been given. But we have not been advised of any announcements relative to the appointment to the NBI director position,” Valte said when asked about the possible appointees to the post. With Norman Bordadora

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • lyn dimaano

    Another tabloidish news head. The news before this didn’t say Almendras wanted to leave, just that he was going to be replaced. What’s this title implication that he’s clinging to his post? What’s with the Inquirer?

  • ovalboy

    I beg you Mr. President… He has no place in your government. Let the Alcantaras and Aboitizes worry about his place on earth. As long as he is in the private sector we in Mindanao will never ever bother him again.

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94