Why the prosecution team opted not to quiz CoronaBy Tetch Torres
MANILA, Philippines—Puzzled by the prosecution team’s decision to waive its right to cross examine then Chief Justice Renato Corona when he testified last week at the Senate?
On Friday, a prosecution spokesman finally broke his silence to explain why they opted to forgo the chance to quiz Corona.
“We do not want to be responsible if anything happened to him,” Marikina Representative and prosecution spokesman Miro Quimbo told Radyo Inquirer 990AM.
“If we cross examined him, there was a danger that something might happen to him. It will backfire and of course, I do not think any of us would want to be responsible also,” Quimbo said.
Quimbo also said that he believed Corona’s condition worsened due to the commotion that erupted at the Senate Impeachment Court after he walked out of the session hall.
He added that after studying the statement of Corona when he first testified before the court, they smelled victory.
The prosecution, Quimbo said, took two days to analyze Corona’s statement. He said they agreed to adopt the analysis and recommendation of fellow prosecutor Rep. Rudy Fariñas.
“He (Corona) made so many admissions which were negative to his interest,” Quimbo said.
The lawmaker from Marikina said another reason they opted not to cross examine Corona was to prevent the defense from asking questions in a redirect examination which could give Corona the opportunity to clarify matters.