Old man trapped in Alegria fire
An 80-year-old man died after he was trapped inside his burning house in barangay Compostela, Alegria town, southern Cebu.
Because of old age, Bernabe Lobingco, a widower, may have failed to get out of the house when it caught fire past 8 p.m. last Tuesday.
Police said Lobingco may have been sleeping when the fire broke out.
It was possible the old man accidentally toppled an improvised kerosene lamp causing the fire.
The man’s charred remains were recovered around 11 p.m., said police.
The man lived alone in the house which was made of light materials.
No one was able to save the man since the houses in the area were from each other, said P01 Melvin Patoc, investigator of the Alegria police./CORRESPONDENTS JHUNNEX NAPALLACAN AND RHEA RUTH V. ROSELL
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94