40 die in Chinese hailstorm
Beijing – Forty people were killed when a brief but violent hailstorm and torrential rain swept through a mountainous region of northwest China, the local government said on Sunday.
Eighteen others remained missing in Min county, a disaster-prone area of Gansu province, while 87 had been sent to hospital, the county government said in a statement on its website.
Officials said 29,300 people had been evacuated after rain and hail battered the county for just 60 minutes late Thursday afternoon.
It had “wreaked havoc” on all of the county’s 18 townships and had affected more than two-thirds of its 450,000 residents, the state-controlled Xinhua news agency reported.
“Roads were blocked, houses collapsed, farmland was destroyed, and the power supply and telecommunications services were disrupted by the extreme weather,” the agency said, quoting Xu Guangyao, a senior county official.
Min county is 150 kilometers (94 miles) from Zhouqu county, where a rain-triggered mudslide killed about 1,500 people in August 2010.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94