Quantcast
Latest Stories

Protests stop collection of garbage in Baguio


BAGUIO CITY—Garbage has been piling up on village streets and parts of the city market since Tuesday because of another protest that has prevented the city government from using an abandoned lime kiln as its waste sorting area.

The protest was staged by residents of Barangay Irisan, who have started to complain about the stench from the kiln, said Mayor Mauricio Domogan.

Because the city’s garbage trucks have been used to bringing trash from the kiln to a landfill in Tarlac province, the city government failed to meet its weekly waste collection schedules in the villages, catching residents and barangay (village) officials off-guard.

A volunteer garbage collector said they were not informed about collection delays.

“We could have warned residents to keep their garbage indoors for the meantime. I went to the office of the city environment and parks management officer [Cepmo] on Thursday and I was told to dig a hole instead for the biodegradable wastes that piled up in our area,” said the volunteer, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak on behalf of village officials.

Court order

The Baguio government has been barred from using its decommissioned dump at Barangay Irisan by a temporary environmental protection order (Tepo) issued by the Supreme Court in January.

The Tepo was released pending the court’s deliberations over a writ of kalikasan petition filed in December 2011 by residents of Tuba, Benguet province, and Aringay, La Union province, who said the collapse of the Irisan dump last year had contaminated their soil and water sources.

Strong rains dumped by Typhoon “Mina” on August 27 last year caused portions of the Baguio dump to burst, unleashing garbage on a community along Asin Road and killing six people.

The high court directed the Court of Appeals to hold a preliminary hearing of the complaint. The city government was supposed to present evidence on April 20, but the CA suspended the hearing, said Cordelia Lacsamana, city environment officer.

Domogan said the financial pressure on the Baguio government has been huge since August 2011, after it spent close to P160 million to clear the trash slide.

Rules not followed

He said the latest protests were understandable, however, because their concerns were valid.

“We can’t blame them from complaining,” Domogan said.

“I do not run away from a problem so we have started to clean up the mess but if my own lieutenants do not follow instructions … I just don’t know,” Domogan said.

Waste segregation remains a government policy and program, but some households and establishments still fail to comply with the regulation. This, Domogan said, requires storing garbage at the kiln for segregation. Vincent Cabreza, Inquirer Northern Luzon


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Baguio City , Conflict , dispute , environment , Garbe collection , protest , Regions


  • Hey_Dudes

    If a simple task such as disposing garbage is something elected officials cannot perform with ease and efficiency, how can we expect these same officials doing others differently?  What has happen to Baguio a place I used to admire and love? 

  • Loggnat

    ‘ “I do not run away from a problem so we have started to clean up the mess but if my own lieutenants do not follow instructions … I just don’t know,” Domogan said.’ /// If you don’t know what to do, maybe you should quit the job and let somebody else who knows take over. First thing you should do is fire all your lieutenants who do not know how to follow instructions and get replacement individuals who can. Then hire an expert on waste management to determine which method/system will be suitable for the city. Then follow the experts advise to the ‘T’ and also try to anticipate the city’s future waste management needs. It can be done ’cause other cities in the planet has successfully solved their waste management problem and even created new job generating businesses out of it.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Camilla’s brother dies of NYC head injury
  • Nepal officials go to Everest to try to end crisis
  • Escudero ready to defend self should name appear in Napoles’ list
  • Obama calls for peaceful end to island dispute
  • Russia not abiding by agreement on Ukraine—Obama
  • Sports

  • Promoters Dela Hoya, Arum in talks for Pacquiao-Alvarez—report
  • Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern
  • Suns’ Goran Dragic win NBA’s Most Improved Player award
  • Heat go up 2-0, hold off Bobcats 101-97
  • Ronaldo shakes off injury fears to play Bayern
  • Lifestyle

  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Entertainment

  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • Business

  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH-HK relations repaired, but families of victims still being courted
  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement