Quantcast
Latest Stories

‘Boko Haram’ video claims newspaper attack, threatens media


KANO, Nigeria — A video purportedly from Islamist group Boko Haram on Tuesday showed footage of last week’s attack on a Nigerian newspaper and threatens news outlets, including two foreign organizations.

The YouTube video includes spoken threats against several Nigerian news organisations as well as the Voice of America and Radio France International services in the Hausa language, which is spoken in northern Nigeria.

The voiceover divides the news media into three categories. One is outlets that have already been attacked, namely ThisDay newspaper; the second groups those Boko Haram is ready to attack now, including VOA; and the third those on the verge of being targeted, including Radio France.

“These media outlets have committed serious crimes that are harmful to Islam, which we can’t forgive,” says the voiceover.

“We must take our pound of flesh.”

At several points in the video, footage is shown of the suicide bombing of ThisDay’s office on Thursday in the capital Abuja, where five people were killed — a security guard, three passers-by and the attacker.

The video was shot from a distance, but a sport utility vehicle can be clearly seen entering the gate of the newspaper’s office, followed immediately by a powerful explosion and a burst of flames.

A voice, apparently of the person filming, says “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest).

Another portion of the video shows a person portrayed as the suicide bomber for the newspaper attack, at one stage holding an AK-47 assault rifle, at another time waving from inside a vehicle.

The authenticity of the video could not be verified, but it resembled previous clips said to be from Boko Haram and used footage of the group’s suspected leader, Abubakar Shekau.

It was unclear who was speaking in the nearly 18-minute clip in Hausa.

The attack on Thursday was one of two targeting the media. A complex housing several newspaper offices, including for ThisDay, was also bombed the same day at roughly the same time, killing four people.

The bombings marked the first such attacks targeting the news media in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation and largest oil producer, which has been hit by an onslaught of deadly violence attributed to Boko Haram.

ThisDay is one of Nigeria’s most prominent and influential newspapers.

The video says it was targeted for misrepresenting Boko Haram as well as over a 2002 story on a Miss World pageant that was to be held in Nigeria, and which had generated strong controversy.

The story suggested that the prophet Mohammed may have wanted to pick a wife from the contestants, which contributed to deadly rioting in the country divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south.

The writer left Nigeria in the wake of the controversy. The video said the writer “who committed this blasphemy is to be killed whenever the opportunity avails itself”.

“God gave us this opportunity to carry out this attack on this newspaper and we will continue to launch attacks on them until they cease to exist,” the voice in the video says.

No mention was made in the video of attacks on churchgoers on Sunday in the northern cities of Kano and Maiduguri which left 23 people dead.

The deadliest attack occurred in Kano, where gunmen opened fire and threw bombs at worshippers, gunning them down as they sought to flee. Security sources have confirmed 19 dead in that attack.

On Monday, a suicide attack targeting a senior police official’s convoy in the eastern Nigerian state of Taraba killed 11 people and wounded 20. The video also fails to mention that attack.

Boko Haram’s increasingly bloody insurgency has claimed more than 1,000 lives since mid-2009. The attacks on the media marked a widening of targets, which have included authorities, the United Nations and churches.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Acts of terror , Boko Haram , Civil unrest , Media , Nigeria , Terrorism , video


  • alfred sanchez

    ayus pag mga islamist walang comment pag mga anti catholic news tuwang tuwa ang mga tao dito

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_3UAABFPUE5ZKBXOAGLWL6POGWU joel genese

    Allah is blood thirsty creature!

    • elpsaw

       There is NO allah,no mohammed and no sense in Islam. It needs shipping out of Nigeria, a good Christian country.

  • wilms1963

    bakit kaya tameme ang mga kristyano sa nigeria..modern day martyrs?

  • antonioluna

    iba iba ang mga porma ng gawain ng mga religious fanatics id!ot, dyan sa nigeria violence, dito sa atin naman ang pagiging mangmang at zombie, pahimakas na wala talagang maidudulot na maganda ang pagiging religious fanatic

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YATE6O3KK7WZEKAAVMIFUEHXMI iyot

    Muslims and Islam. The only good thing about being a Muslim and belonging to Islam is having 4 wives. The rest is just crap.

    • generalproblem

      meron pang isa pag nag suicide bomber ka naghihintay sato yung 7 virgin sa langit kaso di lang malaman kung alin ang virgin pa kung pwet o yung alam nyo na

      • wanluna

         its not 7 its 72…and you are right di alam kung anung klaseng virgin. pedeng virgin na camel.

      • elpsaw

        Walun you are wrong, it is NOT 72 virgins but ONE 72 year-old virgin,
        hardly worth dying for, surely?

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_O2RXGCIX4F2RUB5UAD5OWBPE3A dog

    F*cking traitors!!

  • elpsaw

    There is only one problem with Nigeria, Islam. It should be banned and dismantled Worldwide.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Visiting chefs from Denmark get creative with ‘ube,’ ‘ buko,’ ‘calamansi,’ mangoes
  • Salted baked potatoes
  • A first in a mall: Authentic Greek yogurt–made fresh in front of diners
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement