Bishops to Aquino gov’t: Stop whining, start filing cases vs GMA, alliesBy Jocelyn R. Uy
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—Instead of whining about the mistakes of the past administration, the Aquino government must start taking steps against the alleged corruption committed by its predecessor, Catholic bishops advised the government on Monday.
Two prelates gave their two cents’ worth following a disclosure by officials of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) that former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and her allies left the agency P4 billion in debt due to sham media contracts and fake medical claims.
“Knowledge about the evil should not end in knowing evil,” said Sorsogon Bishop Arturo Bastes over Church-run Radio Veritas on Monday. “Instead, the [present government] must find solutions to the problem or come up with concrete actions to punish the evil,” he added.
Caloocan Bishop Deogracias Iñiguez, head of the public affairs committee of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, also echoed the same opinion over Radio Veritas.
“We’ve already heard so many accusations like this, this is no longer new [so] it would be better, with this information or allegations, for the present government to look into it seriously and take the necessary actions,” said Iñiguez.
Iñiguez added that what the nation needed more from Aquino now would be his action on the allegations of corruption committed by the past administration and make those liable be punished.
The supposed online “catfight” between President Aquino’s deputy spokesperson and Arroyo’s ally also did not sit well with Bishop Bastes, saying that instead of trading accusations and insults, they should just provide each other suggestions on how to lead the country out of poverty.
House Deputy Minority Leader Milagros Magsaysay and presidential deputy spokesperson Abigail Valte figured in a heated argument on Twitter defending their respective presidents.
Magsaysay questioned Aquino’s leadership while Valte claimed that the previous administration had drained public funds, mentioning that the 2010 calamity fund had been depleted halfway into the year.
Bastes said the two officials were not good examples to the public, especially to children.
“We have to be prudent because kids might do the same as what the leaders are doing,” Bastes said over the radio network.
“They (allegations) have to be revealed but something has to be done…action is needed, not the bickering of officials,” said Bastes.