Quantcast
Latest Stories

No reprieve for informal settlers in Metro Manila

‘No halt to demolitions’

By

Interior Secretary Jesse M. Robredo on Sunday clarified his remarks about calling for a halt to demolitions in Metro Manila, saying what he meant was the suspension of police assistance for the court-ordered dismantling of illegal structures.

“Let me just clarify it. As far as we are concerned, we don’t have any authority to suspend demolition[s]. What we really ordered was for the police [to stop giving in] to requests for assistance to undertake demolitions,” he said in an interview on ANC.

Robredo explained that the police would be called in only if certain conditions were met, such as, first, compliance with the Urban Development and Housing Act (UDHA) and second, the conduct of a

“predemolition meeting” attended by representatives from the Commission on Human Rights, the police, the interior department and media.

According to him, this was to ensure “that there will be no miscommunication whatsoever between all the contending parties and it will be very clear exactly what will be done.”

“So effectively, we are saying we cannot assure anyone that there will be no demolition orders but from hereon, if there is any party, like the sheriff who will request for police assistance, there is a protocol that has to be complied with,” Robredo said.

On Friday, the interior secretary directed the National Capital Region Police Office to conduct a review of all policies and legal orders regarding cases of demolition a few days after a violent riot erupted as illegal market stalls at Silverio Compound in Parañaque City were being torn down.

“Pending the review, all demolitions are ordered stopped… while we’re not yet clear about all related policies and guidelines on this subject,” Robredo was quoted as saying in a statement.

Last Monday, residents of Silverio compound and other militants clashed with riot policemen during a court-ordered demolition of stalls, leaving a resident dead due to a gunshot wound in the head and at least 39 others injured.

The police, however, denied that they used excessive force as they argued that it was the residents who started the violence and that some of them carried firearms as well.

The Parañaque police admitted using live ammunition against the protesters but officials later noted that the fatality could not have died from bullets from the M-16 rifles the lawmen had fired after an autopsy report from the National Bureau of Investigation showed that the wound likely came from a 9mm or .38-cal. gun.

Asked if violent demolition could be eased with a comprehensive relocation plan, Robredo said that was in fact the intention of President Aquino.

“He authorized P10 billion last year and in fact, [several groundbreaking ceremonies for projects have been held]. It’s really faithful compliance with the UDHA. The UDHA first of all said that if onsite [relocation] is possible, you go onsite. If onsite is not possible, we go in-cities. If in-cities is not possible, we do near-cities,” he said.

“The last option is resettlement. For a long time, the resettlement option was always the first option and unfortunately, most of those who settled outside of Metro Manila just came back. So this time, the program really looks at the intent of the UDHA and as far as possible, if we can do onsite and near-cities, we will do onsite and near-cities,” Robredo said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: demolitions , Housing , informal settlers , Philippines – Metro


  • rnoldrmada

    It would be interesting to know if a study has been made by UDHA concering the relocation of these people and I wonder if there were congressional hearings done since the 10b would be appropriated by congress for the program. It’s a lot of money and I hate to see this falling through the cracks of bureaucracy again.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  5. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  6. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  7. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  10. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  1. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  2. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  3. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  10. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
Advertisement

News

  • Smooth Edsa ride up in 2 years, but…
  • Obama: US will defend Japan vs China
  • Santiago accuses Lacson of fronting for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Name names, Lacson told
  • Ukraine FM: We are ready to fight Russia
  • Sports

  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • NLEX roars to 7th D-League win
  • Lifestyle

  • Marinduque: Visiting the ‘palm of the ocean’
  • First at Vatican in 60 years
  • How Jing Monis Salon gave Krissy the pixie
  • Want to be a supermodel? Work on your inner beauty, says Joey Espino
  • Denims that keep you cool–literally
  • Entertainment

  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • OMB exec’s assurance: We work 24/7
  • Business

  • Nielsen sees car buying boom in the Philippines
  • How author of best-seller exposed ‘one percent’ economic elite
  • Bangko Sentral readies new bank lending rules
  • Gaming stocks gain, PSEi eases on profit-taking
  • Cebu Pacific flew 3.74M passengers as of March
  • Technology

  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • Senator hopes PH will also get same vow
  • HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
  • Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  • US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement