Quantcast
Latest Stories

12 killed in south Libya violence – tribal leader

By

TRIPOLI – Fresh fighting between Toubou tribesmen and the national army flared in the Libyan desert town of Kufra overnight leaving up to 12 people dead and scores wounded, local sources told AFP on Saturday.

“Twelve people have been killed and more than 35 have been wounded since Friday,” Toubou tribal leader Issa Abdelmajid Mansur said. He said his toll drew on reports from two Toubou residential areas.

“They are firing at us with rocket-propelled grenades, Grad rockets and anti-aircraft guns,” said Mansur, accusing the national army of ethnic cleansing in the southeastern town.

Mansur said two Toubou neighbourhoods were attacked throughout Saturday by forces linked to the national army, including the Libya Shield brigade, and the military council of Kufra. Another tribal elder echoed him.

“The attacks on Toubou areas started at 2 pm yesterday (Friday) and have continued past 7 pm today,” he said, adding that at least four Toubou tribesmen were killed in his neighbourhood alone.

“A dozen houses have been burned down,” he added.

That toll and account of the violence matched one provided by a nurse treating Toubou wounded in a makeshift clinic.

“Four people were killed and 16 wounded,” the nurse said, adding that there was sporadic fire and that “several houses have been burned down.”

Toubou tribal elders accused army leaders of being unable to rein in their men.

“The army is unable to stop the Libya Shield brigade which is meant to be under its command,” Hussein Sake told AFP.

He said he was among Toubou tribal elders who took part in negotiations with the national army aimed at ending the bloodshed.

“Until now, we haven’t reached a ceasefire,” Sake said, adding that the humanitarian situation was pitiful since Toubou areas have no clinics and no food shops were open because of the violence.

Several officials contacted in Tripoli said they were aware of the fighting in Kufra but were hazy on the details.

On Friday, Wissam Ben Hamid, head of the Libya Shield brigade, said that fighting erupted after Zwai tribesman shot dead a Toubou man.

“The Toubou reacted by firing on every car passing near their neighbourhood,” Hamid told AFP, adding three of his men were wounded.

“We asked them to pull back in vain,” he said.

On Saturday, Colonel Fradj Bushaala, a local representative of the defence ministry, told AFP that fighting had abated and that “negotiations were under way between tribal leaders to settle the problem once and for all.”

Bushaala said some of his men had been wounded but there were no fatalities in their ranks.

“The problem started because the Toubou opened fire on the army and wounded some of their men,” said one Kufra resident.

In February, clashes pitting Toubou against Zwai tribesmen in Kufra cost more than 100 lives also displaced half the population, according to UN figures.

Libya’s nascent army intervened by sending a brigade of former rebel fighters from the eastern city of Benghazi to uphold a hard-won ceasefire.

Kufra, a town of about 40,000, is located in a triangle where the borders of Egypt, Chad and Sudan meet.

The Toubou, who are dark-skinned and present in southeast Libya as well as in Chad, Sudan and Niger, faced discrimination under toppled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi’s regime.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Libya , Unrest , Violence




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Visiting chefs from Denmark get creative with ‘ube,’ ‘ buko,’ ‘calamansi,’ mangoes
  • Salted baked potatoes
  • A first in a mall: Authentic Greek yogurt–made fresh in front of diners
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement