Palace clams up on Corona trialBy Christine O. Avendaño
Philippine Daily Inquirer
BAGUIO CITY—President Benigno Aquino III and his spokespersons have decided to clam up on the impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona to ensure issues would not be muddled by the defense team.
This was the explanation of the President to Palace reporters late Sunday night when asked whether he was behind the move of the Palace communication group to refrain from commenting on the trial and just allow the prosecution team to do the talking.
Mr. Aquino observed that one of the strategies now being employed by Corona’s lawyers was to “talk about all issues except for those issues at bar.”
“So that if they (defense team) make statements, it seemed at times our spokespersons are being obligated to respond that we get away from the issues on the impeachment,” he said.
Because Filipinos should be educated about the impeachment trial, Mr. Aquino said it was important “not to muddle issues and to get to other issues not related to the impeachment.”
“So we will no longer respond in order that they will be forced to answer what is necessary to be answered,” he said.
Last week, presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda announced the Palace would no longer comment on the trial, but he stressed its spokespersons would answer if the President were assailed or attacked.
Mr. Aquino has been very vocal about his dislike of Corona and the way the judiciary is running under his watch.
Corona has said his impeachment was prompted by the Supreme Court’s unanimous decision to distribute to workers Hacienda Luisita, the sugar plantation owned by Mr. Aquino’s family.