Palace on 2022 reelection ban: Duterte has no other motives | Inquirer News
Friday, August 17, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Palace on 2022 reelection ban: Duterte has no other motives

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 06:51 PM July 17, 2018

The final copy of the draft federal Constitution that explicitly banned President Rodrigo Duterte from running again in 2022 should allay fears of a possible term extension for the chief executive.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued this statement after Duterte’s Consultative Committee (Con-com) included in the final draft of the proposed federal government that Duterte is prohibited from running again as President.

READ: Duterte reelection banned in 2022 under draft federal Charter

ADVERTISEMENT

“We thank the Consultative Committee for accommodating the President’s request to provide for an elected transition president,” Roque said.

“This should finally allay all fears that PRRD (Duterte) has other motives for wanting to shift to a federal form of government,” he added.

Duterte had earlier said that he was ready to step down once the government runs into a federal system.

He also said he wanted voters to elect a ‘younger’ new leader to oversee the transition of the government into the proposed federal system. /ee

READ: Palace: Duterte wants voters to elect ‘younger’ leader to head transition gov’t

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2022 reelection ban, Charter change, federal constitution, President Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.