Sunday, July 22, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Lorenzana denies talks postponed because of ‘all-out war’ vs NPA

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana denied accusations that President Rodrigo Duterte postponed the resumption of formal peace talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) in deference to the military’s planned “all-out war” against the communist New People’s Army.

“That is not true,” Lorenzana said in a text message to the media on Monday.

He said the President had already decided on the postponement even before the Armed Forces of the Philippines recommended in a recent briefing that the talks be postponed for three months so that a “stand-down agreement” between the two parties could be studied for implementation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lorenzana said the President actually came to the decision during the first update on the government peace panel’s back-channel talks with the NDFP.

Past agreements

“It was in the course of this briefing and subsequent [question-and-answer] that the President decided that he needs more time to review all past agreements between the NDF and GRP (government) and the results of the recent back channeling,” he said.

The President canceled on June 14 the resumption of formal talks in Oslo, Norway, scheduled for June 28, the date agreed upon by government and NDFP negotiators in a series of back-channel talks.

The President insisted that the talks be held in the Philippines next month.

End of peace talks

Jose Maria “Joma” Sison, exiled founding chair of the Communist Party of the Philippines, said on Sunday that holding formal peace talks in the Philippines would spell the end of peace negotiations.

NDFP chief negotiator Fidel Agcaoili on Monday said: “No party has the right to change the rules of the game in midstream.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The President has not given up on negotiating peace with communist rebels but wants any agreement to pass legal and political scrutiny, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said.

Roque also said Malacañang hoped Sison would leave it to the government to speak about developments in the peace negotiations.

The peace talks’ resumption may depend on the release of NDFP consultants, however.

Lawyers of NDFP consultant Rafael Baylosis slammed his continuous detention in Taguig City, despite a release order issued by a Quezon City court after he posted bail last week.

On June 14, the Regional Trial Court Branch 100 ordered Baylosis’ release on a bail bond of P150,000, after his camp filed a motion to allow him to participate in the formal peace talks.

Meanwhile, a Quezon City court dismissed on June 5 the cases of illegal possession of firearms and explosives filed against another NDFP consultant, Ruben Saluta. —With reports from Jhesset O. Enano and Karlo Manlupig

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: communist rebels, CPP, Delfin Lorenzana, NDFP, NPA, Philippine peace talks
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

NLEX achieved its goal in Macau, says Guiao

July 23, 2018 01:36 AM

entertainment

Celeste: Diva in a duster—and in the buff

July 23, 2018 12:07 AM

entertainment

Show biz debate: Should actors be political

July 23, 2018 12:06 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.